Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thoughts on Casey Anthony

Murderer.

At least that's what everyone says.  Yet in a court of law, found innocent.  It seems so unfair, so unjust, that a baby was left in the woods, with duct tape on her mouth, and someone got away with murder.  Her defense attorney never even tried to convince the jury she didn't do it.  He just tried to convince them that she was a messed up person, and so couldn't help it if she didn't report her daughter missing (or even killed her).

Last night one of the jurors stepped out into the spotlight on ABC News.  She said since nobody can prove it, why should she sentence this woman to die?  That is a heavy burden to bear.  Should killing be the answer to killing?


I've been thinking about the death penalty again.  I examined and re-examined my position in college, and now I am re-thinking it all over.  If I was a juror, would I want to sentence someone to die, if there really was no hard evidence (just circumstantial) that she did it?

Here's are my thoughts:

-I shouldn't be happy if anyone dies.  Nope, not even Osama Bin Laden.  Not even a baby killer.  Killing is never good, because it degrades the value of human life.   The person who is killed is one less person who will get the chance to turn to Jesus.

- If we believe abortion is murder, then should we kill all women who have had abortions?  I hope not, because I have some friends who had abortions in their pasts, and I would not want them dead.

- Does God rate sins?  Because in my book, murder is right up there at the top, and a murderer should deserve to be killed, right?  But then again I read verses like, You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell."  (Matthew 5:21-22)  So, if someone who murders is equivalent to someone who is angry and doesn't deal with it, doesn't that mean I deserve to die, too?

We have to be careful, as Christians, how we respond in situations like this. Do we spew hatred and vengeance out of our mouths and call it "justice"?  Because that is not a godly justice.  Justice is showing love, and believing that vengeance belongs only to God.

Carlos Whittaker wrote a post about this today, too, in which he asks, "What if Casey Anthony showed up at your church today?"  How would you respond?   He says, "Horrendous sin is already in our pews."  And we are among the sinners.  If the church cannot show love to even someone like her, then what will they think of Jesus?  We are the representation of Him on this earth.


So, am I saying to just forget what she did, pretend it never happened, and forgive her?  Well, not exactly.  But what I am saying is that Jesus forgave murderers, did he not?  I don't forgive her, I admit it.  Not yet.  But I want to let God change my heart so that I can forgive even a murderer.   For my sins deserve death just as much as hers.

Romans 12:17-21

New International Version (NIV)

 17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”[a] says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:
   “If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
   if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”[b]
 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.


What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting take on such a hot topic right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts! It is a very intense, emotional topic.
    Here's my take. We must remember that consequences and forgiveness are two different things. Of course God extends forgiveness to everyone, and so should Christians. If we don't, we are hypocrites, and may never have understood the depths of our own sin.
    But a truly repentant person recognizes and accepts the just consequence for his actions. Assigning the death penalty does not mean forgiveness is withheld. It simply means the law must uphold the right consequence.
    Even the death penalty is not the full punishment. Hell is our just reward, and we can be spared that through faith in Christ. So the death penalty is a consequence, but even with that, mercy is available, and Heaven.
    I would definitely extend forgiveness if Casey Anthony showed up in my church. But I would also know she was accepting it if she was humbly acknowledging her actions deserved their consequences. I don't see why else she'd be in church. If a sinner can't find forgiveness at church - not defiantly demanding to be excused from their consequences - something's wrong with church.
    That's assuming she is guilty. I have no idea, as I did not follow the trial. I don't really trust the media, either. It would be a terrible thing to sentence an innocent person. And yes, it would be very difficult to sit on that jury!
    Following you from VoiceBoks. God bless!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete