Friday, August 24, 2012

Modern Inconveniences

My mind has been going one hundred different directions lately and I have been overwhelmed.  We are preparing to go on vacation, but there are so many things to take care of before we go that we have almost cancelled twice.  This is a month where everything seems to have broken in our house and with our cars.  One of our cars has been in the shop 6 times for all different issues in the last 2 weeks, and now the air conditioner is broken right before we take a trip. Our other car is literally too small to fit all of our stuff for our big trip.

First world problems, I know.  There are people with real problems and here I am complaining about luxury items - small inconveniences when you look at the big picture.  Today I realized that I'm really just spoiled - I have come to expect air conditioning when on a long, hot trip.  I have come to expect transportation and always having two cars available.  I have come to expect a new computer, even though I have 2 other backups.  I have come to expect shades on my windows (we woke up one morning and they were on the ground, broken).  We have come to expect so many things, and when those things let us down, we go into a tailspin.  It shows how much of our happiness revolved around stuff, and how easily we let these things affect our mood, our outlook, our relationships, and more. 

This is also how the consumer mentality begins, and how easy it is to get into debt if we don't stop our thoughts and just learn to be content.

I read this post by Tiffany Noth yesterday, and it came at just the right moment. I rarely have time to read blogs anymore, but when I do, I love when they speak directly to something my heart needs to hear. 

Then I read this post by Daniel Parkins, and it reminded me to be thankful for what I have - my health and my family.  My struggles are incomparable to what some are called to walk through.

In three days we will be in Yosemite, marveling at God's creation - and everything will fall into place.  His creation has a way of doing that to our outlook on life.  Lord, help me to find that perspective here in this place, and not just when I get away from it all.

2 comments:

  1. Girl, it's been one of those weeks for me too! But we just have to look up at the beautiful blue.....ish.... :o) sky and thank God for His mercy and love. Just think, you'll be in Yosemite in no time enjoying the air, the trees, the boys and your hubby. None of this stuff will matter. Sorry to hear all of this, but I love you very much and hope you get to relax and space out during your vacation!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a GREAT line: " It shows how much of our happiness revolved around stuff, and how easily we let these things affect our mood, our outlook, our relationships, and more." So incredibly true. We've had a car in the shop multiple times the last few weeks too. So frustrating. But God always takes care of his own. Enjoy your vacation!!!

    ReplyDelete